Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment Askenas Chiropractic Can Help
Askenas Chiropractic in Pearl River, NY, specializes in the lessening of pain caused by Degenerative Disc Disease. Our chiropractor will administer non-invasive treatment to reduce your back pain. One of the first places we begin to feel our age is in the spine. When our spines are young, the discs provide a cushion between the vertebrae of the spinal column. This buffer allows our bodies to bend, twist and remain upright as well as protecting the body from impact. As we age, the discs can become dried out or injured. The damage to the discs is irreversible and they will then begin to decay. In situations where the discs crumble and fall apart, the individual is diagnosed with osteoarthritis.
- Pain associated with standing or sitting too long
- Walking, moving or changing positions can lessen the pain
- The level of pain can range from dull to severe, sometimes disabling
- Some patients experience pain in the neck that spreads down the arms and hands
- Lower back pain that often continues down into the buttocks and then the leg
- Simple everyday activities such as washing dishes, putting clothes in the washing machine or brushing your teeth can be excruciating
- Some people have described periods of extreme pain which then subside but eventually return
- Anti-inflammatory over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can be used in the initial stages.
- Doctors recommend adopting a healthy lifestyle including exercise, weight control, core strengthening, and no smoking.
- There are a plethora of injection programs designed to decrease pain. However, these shouldn't be considered as a cure-all as the pain control is temporary.
- Back surgery is another option but certainly a more serious one. The most common type of surgery is called 'fusion' as it involves removing the joint and then fusing the bones together. This procedure is also not to be considered a complete fix as the surgery is often not effective.
A Better Alternative
Non-surgical Chiropractic care offers relief to pain by improving blood flow, easing tension in muscles and in the inflamed tissues, and making movement possible again. Movement is vital to diminishing pain and a chiropractor can use manual therapies to improve your ability to get around. If you are ready to gain more mobility and stop the hurting, call Askenas Chiropractic in Pearl River today: (845) 735-3737.